04 March 2007

2007 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras


I watched the parade last night from Rully's place on the second floor above Oxford Street, near Taylor's Square. It's the first time I've seen it from above, and of course you lose alot of the feeling.

I got a couple of good photos, but I really do need to shell out and buy a good zoom. These are all shot on my fixed 50mm.

I hit the streets after the parade hoping to get more good shots, but it wasn't the best time. If I was really dedicated to it I would have gone back to the same spot at dawn. Then there would be some images...

There has been some discussion in the media about whether the parade is still relevant. I wouldn't say its relevant in terms of a protest march any more as the community has mostly been incorporated into the mainstream now (2Day FM float with a Parramatta Eels jersey on display says alot), but rather it's a time to celebrate.

Every sector of the community has a special time to celebrate and come together (Christians>Christmas, Muslims>Ramadan etc) so this is the gay community's day to do the same.

But surely the music directors of the floats can let go of 1970s disco by now?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.